Here i will let you know about Storage DRS (SDRS)
SDRS is Automated to perform storage utilization balancing. This balancing is not only based on only space utilization but also based on I/O load balancing.
Closely Related Concepts b/w DRS and SDRS:-
- DRS uses cluster of hosts and SDRS used cluster of datastores.
- DRS can perform both initial placement and manual & outgoing balancing, SDRS also performs initial placement of VMDK’s and ongoing balancing of VMDK’s.
- DRS offers affinity and antiaffinity rules and SDRS also offers VMDK’s affinity and antiaffinity rules.
Guidelines for datastores that are combined to a datastore cluster:-
- Datastores of different sizes and I/O capacities can be combined in a datastore cluster. different arrays and venders can be combined together in a cluster. however you cannot be combined NFS and VMFS data store.
- All the hosts attached to the datastore in a datastore cluster must be running ESXi 5.x or later. In the earlier versions cannot connected to a datastore in the datastore cluster.
- Datastores shared Across multiple datacenters are not supported for SDRS.
# SDRS Automation Level:-
SDRS offers two predefined automation levels
1) No automation ( Manual Mode ) &
2) fully automated.
1.) No automation ( Manual Mode ):-
SDRS will generate recommendations for initial placement and for storage migrations based on the configured space and I/O thresholds. Initial placement recommendation occurs when you create a new VM (Thus a new Virtual disk), add a virtual disk to a VM or clone a VM or template. SDRS presents a list of initial placement recommendations whenever a new VD is created.
Recommendation for SDRS migrations are noted in two different ways.
- An alarm is generated
- The monitor
SDRS tab of datastore cluster will list the current SDRS recommendation and give you the option to apply those recommendations i.e initial the storage vMotion migration.
2.) Fully Automated:-
It will automatically initiate the storage vMotion migrations instead of generating recommendations for the administrator to approve.
In this case you can see:-
Use the monitor- SDRS tab of the datastore cluster to view the history of SDRS actions by selecting the history button at the top of the SDRS tab.
Note: Where to see DRS recommendation list?
It is unusual to see DRS make any recommended list of migrations by selecting the cluster in teh inventory and then select DRS tab.
From the monitor – DRS tab, the RUN DRS Now button allows you to agree with any pending DRS recommendations and initiate a migration.
In manual DRS automation the recommendation list is display in DRS tab – Recommendations you can see the list.